Rest Web Service Metadata
Updated: Jul 1
About Rest Web Service
REST is a modern easy-to-use application program interface (API) based on a widely adopted architectural style. The services provide users with seamless access to NetSuite record metadata, support API discoverability, offer link-based navigation and give users a uniform approach to interacting with both custom and standard records.
Key Points of the REST Web Service
· Pre-build endpoint
· NetSuite schema can be obtained via Metadata integration
· Fast development and easy deployment of integration
· Execution speed of the requests
· Human readable data in body: JSON format
· Supporting SuiteAnalytics workbooks
· Still some records and features in Beta
· Limitation of data query service to 1 000 records
· Searches are not available for use
· No further processing is possible (like in case of Restlet)
· No support of Legacy tax codes
The latest integration features using Rest WS offer 3 main operations:
About REST Metadata
Web services metadata provides schema defining each contract, enabling developers to dynamically discover API endpoints. This metadata contains all available resources such as records, data formats, values for input and output fields and supports HTTP methods and query parameters. Metadata can be returned either as JSON Schema, or via OpenAPI 3.0 (Swagger) format.
Using metadata information, you can:
· Get an overview of all available record types
· Get an overview of the structure of a particular record type
· Get an overview of searchable fields
· Get an overview of supported HTTP methods and query parameters
· Automatically generate client code, for example, API client libraries or client stubs.
The REST API comes with a fully personalized view on the resources (per user). This includes the ability to transparently work with user-specific NetSuite record customizations, such as custom records and fields. The ability to provide a record in its customized form means that the record structure can vary based on your specific NetSuite setup. Therefore, the REST API provides an option to dynamically generate metadata about the records (available resources and operations) in the form of standardized descriptions. Custom record metadata is accessible the same way as metadata for standard records.